Saturday, October 11, 2014

Strapless Saturday: Back to School!


Obviously, my short stay here in my hometown still won't compensate the time I haven't visited. But because it was longer than the usual, I got to squeeze in one important thing I've planned way, way back: the journalism workshop for students.


I wanted to have that workshop to give back to my alma mater, the very reason why I landed in journalism and in the media industry; the biggest factor on the decision-making before I entered college.

And lo, as faith would have it, my former journalism elective teacher sent me a text message few days before my trip back home. There started the planning.

I haven't prepared materials for the lecture-workshop because I was assuming it won't push through. It was already a day before the said date and no one's contacting me yet. On the afternoon of that same day, when I went to the school to fetch my brother, the English teacher (who happens to be the high school department's Journ-elective mentor and publication adviser) told me that they will be expecting me Friday afternoon. Wow. *gasps*

With only a few hours left, I crammed working on a presentation of whatever I'm supposed to teach. The thing was I also needed to review myself on campus journalism, specifically on news writing, editorial writing, and radio scriptwriting and broadcasting, and apply some career experiences.

Not to mention that I'm not that good in public speaking. Haha.

Good thing the students (there were at least 30 of them, I think) were all nice and cooperative.  I initially thought it would be just a sit-down discussion, but no. It was sort of a formal mini-event; complete with the opening prayer, introduction of speaker, etc.

I'm like famous; having autographs and shiz. Loljk.
Luckily, my scatterbrain self wandered that time and yassssss, I nailed it! Congrats.


There's a war going on?
This photo pretty much sums up the riot. Lol, kidding. This (and the other one above, and also the two more below) were taken after the workshop. Heh, because I like candid photo-ops. Hehehe.

Where is the camera?!
Oh there.
Oh, high school. How I wish I was young again. 

By the way, I may have encouraged these students to engage more on social media for writing purposes but I told them print's not dead yet. The whole media industry's one coexisting system anyway, right?

I'm glad most of them (or all of them? Haha.) enjoyed the afternoon with me. (Mygoodness, that was a four-hour talk.) Thus, all these feedback:




There were more on Facebook, Instagram, and text messages. The thank yous were overwhelming. I'm the one who's supposed to be thanking them for being such good listeners.

Looking forward to a lot more of these in the future. I think going back to school is always a fun and thrilling experience... especially when you're really out of it. ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment