Saturday, November 1, 2014

Strapless Saturday: 10 Types of Jeepney Commuters



It's funny how commuting made me come up with these generalizations. Haha.


I have always been a commuter. Well yeah, that's because I don't have my own vehicle and the only means of getting to where you're going aside from walking is taking the mass transportation. Most people say the commuting experience here in the Philippines is actually the worst. That's what they say. And what you can at least do is to entertain yourself during the trip amid the stress brought by traffic and other PUV hassle.

So how do I pass time by not taking my phone out of the bag (you know how risky that would be) or attempting to talk to the one seated next to me?

You guess it. People-watching.

Photo from: Bigflax.com
Believe it or not, I am more observant whenever I'm inside an FX, a bus, or my personal favorite, a jeepney. My mind's sort of wandering, wondering what these people are thinking about.

And this morning I thought of writing about it.

I know, I know. There are already lists with the same concept but of course, I have my own. (I bet you have yours, too.) So mind if I share? Okay? Game!


1. The Couple

You know how it gets awkward when there are only three of you inside the jeepney and the two are, just your luck, a couple? How do you deal with it? Malamang, keber. But some couples go way overboard the PDA-ing even inside the crowded jeep.

Wow, Luneta, teh?

Some are even good at pa-simple moves. When the girl's leaning toward the guy while holding hands, well that's okay. That's sweet. But how about those girls pretending to be asleep and both their hands are going places farther than the jeepney's route? Uy, biglang liko?

Please, get a room.

2. The Sleepyhead

Oh, I've seen this person quite a few times already. The Sleepyheads are the type who sits nearest to the driver, gets too cozy at the corner, and not minding the passengers who are passing their bayad.

"Oh manong, catch!"

Most of the time they're just pretending they're asleep so they could avoid handing over the fare to the driver. Mind if I ask you, bakit ka kasi diyan umupo?

(I apologize to those who are legit sleeping. You'll be fine.)

Photo from: FilipinoScribbles.com

3. The Stunner

You glance once. Twice. Thrice. And can't believe that an actual person like him/her is riding the jeep. Wow, artista.

Then you draw conclusions, wondering why this person is commuting. Is it a) his/her car is on coding? b) for fun and experience? or c) he/she is a normal human being? Like you.

I usually see Stunners when I ride a jeep from Taft. Naks.

4. The Mukhang Holdaper

When you see this person, you hug your bag too tight as if holding on to your dear life. Mukha lang holdaper but you still keep your guards up, expecting what he will do next. (He? Lalake? Are there no female hold-uppers? Sexist!)

I know you've seen a lot of these and there's nothing wrong with being careful. What if you're right. Who knows?

5. The Senior

"Paabot bayad. Senior 'yan ah."

No need to explain this one. If you see one, don't hesitate on helping them getting in the jeepney, or even going out. Oo nga, late ka na, but really? Can someone give the old lady a hand, please?

Sidenote: I wonder if drivers ask for senior citizens' IDs for the discount.

6. The Wapakels

Oh, these people. Mas makapal ang fez over the Sleepyheads. If you ask them to pass your fare to the driver, they'll just turn away their heads to look outside the jeep. Keber.

"Oh manong, catch! (Matamaan sana itong katabi ko!)"

Photo from: philippinereporter.com


7. The Loudmouth

This. Especially those people on their phones. Especially those barakadas talking to each other even if their already squeezed in together inside the jeep.

Nobody cares what you are talking about. Can you hush?

This is also that guy who plays his phone's music player on loudspeaker. I know that's not your mouth, but seriously? Try using the earphones, mygoodness.

8. The Kargador

Obviously, these are the people who are carrying too many stuff which takes time to load inside the jeep and where, in some cases, their baggage blocking the way in/out.

If you are one of those, kayo rin naman ang naiinis 'pag natatabig eh, so please, put your things to the farthest part of the jeep.


9. The Play-safe

The Play-safe are like the Sleepyheads but they are those who are wide awake.

If you happen to ride a jeep with few passengers, they are those who sit nearest to the entrance. Why? So they could, again, avoid passing the fare to the driver.

There are even those who even go near to the driver to hand over the money and goes back to the farthest seat.

Most of the time, I am the Play-safe.

Photo from: anthropologist.wordpress.com


10. The Driver

And last but not the least. There are also different types of driver, but I won't discuss further. Sarreh.

Kudos, though, to the Manong Drivers! For all the patience and hardwork... oh manong, catch!


***

To reiterate, these are just my own observations. There maybe some of you who have their own, and even more, from my list. Let's share thoughts, okay?

Happy Halloween! 'Til the next jeepney ride!

2 comments:

  1. You can try harder, you know. Anyway, I'll just give you 4 for effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, random commenter. Appreciated. :))

      Delete