Saturday, November 30, 2013

Strapless Saturday: From a Rookie [PBA Fan's] Perspective

[To keep this blog alive, I shall have my weekly posts titled "Strapless Saturday."]

Just before the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Rookie draft 2013, I noticed my Facebook and Twitter feeds were already hyped with excitement on who will be placed on what team. I came to realize that our very own college hoops players will be advancing to be pros already. That's why. Boy, made me feel old.


The recognition on most of the players to be drafted was inevitable. These were the people we once cheered and jeered for. And now, the school pride won't matter anymore. (Well... not really. Hahaha.) It's a matter of who will make it to the cut and if these players will stand out on the national basketball league.

And so, the D-Day came. Teams have picked and traded. Former allies became [basketball court] enemies and, quite unexpectedly, enemies became allies.

Yes, bro?
(Photo credit: UAAP-NCAA Facebook page)

Yup, college hoops no more.



***

Admittedly, I'm not an avid fan of PBA. I only watch whenever there's a familiar face playing or if it's already the Finals. Call me bandwagon-er, but I'm pretty sure I have enough knowledge on basketball. Aside from the fangirling though. Hehe.

And I'm not even rooting for a particular team. But in a biased judgment, I go for Barako Bull (because of JC Intal and Jeric Fortuna), Petron Blaze Boosters (yes, Doug Kramer and Arwind Santos), San Mig Coffee Mixers (for Alex Mallari and their championship), Barangay Ginebra Kings (Chris Ellis!), and Rain or Shine Elasto Painters (obviously for Chris Tiu and Jeric Teng).

I'd also like to thank my sports-inclined friends for the familiarity. Also, for the very short stint I had with PBA.

Thank you, PBA.

***



Last Thursday, I had a chance to watch PBA live in the Mall of Asia Arena along with some friends. I only watch UAAP Men's Basketball (on a cheapskate Gen Ad or Lower Box) so this is my first time to witness a pro's hardcourt action.

I never did expect that we will be granted with tickets for patron seats. So close that you can actually smell the players' sweats. Lol, kidding. :))

Alaska Aces vs. Talk N' Text Tropang Texters were already on their half-time when we came in, but nevertheless worth it because they tied on the final quarter with 103 pts. Yes, overtime!

There were known faces like Talk N' Text's Jimmy Alapag and Larry Fonacier, and their coach, former Ateneo Blue Eagles' Norman Black. His five-peat win was legendary and I miss his presence in UAAP.

Still wearing blue.

Also, Alaska Aces' Calvin Abueva, Jvee Casio, Ryan Buenafe, Cyrus Baguio, and rookie Ryan Buenafe.

Some of the things that I have initially noticed and learned were:
  • An amateur player "graduates" from five personal fouls while for a pro, six. (I hope I got this one right.) Abueva, although notable all throughout the game, unfortunately graduated.
  • Buenafe, though some might say he has lost weight, is really huge.
  • PBA was really different from UAAP. It's lacking with drumbeats and chants from the audience...
  • ...and it has no half-time cheering from respective pep squads. I only saw a dancing pizza mascot walking around the court.
  • Free shirts slingshot! 
The Aces, despite their large number of supporters from the crowd, lost to Tropang Texters. 114-111.

***
The next game was much awaited than the first one. And it has more fans, as I have observed.

I get to watch the Ginebra vs. GlobalPort game from start to finish. Even if Alaska-TnT had an OT, the latter game, in my opinion, was more interesting.

Undoubtedly, Barangay Ginebra Kings is a powerful team. The team is composed of some PBA greats and veterans such as EllisJapheth Aguilar, Jayjay Helterbrand, Joshua Urbiztondo, JayR Reyes, LA Tenorio, Mark Caguioa, and Marnel Baracael. Not to mention Ateneo's big guy Gregory Slaughter who was recently added to their line-up.

It was surprising that they had a hard time winning the game against the rookie team GlobalPort put together by rookie players. (I was also wondering why they didn't make it to the Finals during the Governor's Cup. LA Lakers, is that you?)

The difficulty? This guy.

The guy who everyone loves to hate.
(Photo credit: Inquirer.net)
He made the 91-all score on the 4th qtr possible. He had 27 points. Twenty-seven for a rookie, and the highest for his team. Even beating star player Jay Washington (23 pts) who was on the lead during first half and co-Tamaraw RR Garcia (20 pts).

Nonetheless, Gin Kings won, all thanks to Caguioa's comeback on 4th quarter. He was redemption, personified. He made Ginebra supporters happy and left Romeo and Garcia's group of gay fans frustrated. (They were the funny guys, err, gays in the crowd. Cheering for the two former Tams with "Fight! Fight! Fight!" whereas the crowd answers with a "Boooooo!" back. I already saw them in some UAAP games.) 

"Ayaw nating masapawan... Mas mayabang ako sa kanya," says Caguioa on Romeo. 
True enough, he was. But that boast was put into good use, even if Romeo was compared to him right from the start of the season.

The game ended with 109-104, and me as a Gin Kings instant fan. Tagay, mga ka-barangay!

[My own] game highlights: 
  • Slaughter and GlobalPort's Jondan Salvador almost fought in the court when the former elbowed the latter. I can tell it's worth it because Salvador pulled Slaughter's jersey before that happened.
  • Ellis' powerful dunk. And his missed dunk.
  • Slaughter, again, is really huge. (I take my observation to Buenafe a while ago back.) He looks twice a size of a man.
  • Tenorio sort of looks like Teddy of Rocksteddy. Well Teddy has a lot of Kalokalikes, so that one's not surprising.
  • Emman Monfort is what some others would like to call, uhm, fun-sized...
  • ...BUT size doesn't really matter since he has shot two beyond-the-arcs and was a reliable go-to-guy during the game. (Slaughter was unlucky that time, I can say. Though they made a good tag team.)
  • Those guys on the sidelines from GlobalPort clad in pink. How cute.
  • If you have watched Michael Jordan's Space Jam, you might see the similarity of GlobalPort's jerseys and the aliens'. Ooops, sorry.
And to also highlight my fangirling, here are the notable cuties of the game: (You might disagree. Carry on.)

- Justin Chua. 
Because I have a thing with Chinese guys. Haha. Although I never did noticed Chua on UAAP, only now. I wonder if how is it like to play against former teammate Slaughter, et. al.?

- Chris Ellis.
I met Ellis during The Varsitarian's Inkblots this year. He was one of the guests on a mock interview for sports writing. I loved him even more after asking a photo with him where he took an effort to engage a small talk with us. He said, "Sloppy, but we got it."

And to note that he's 2013 PBA All Star Slam Dunk champion. 'Nuff said.

- Japeth Aguilar.
Based on what I saw last Thursday, this guy is worth to be drafted in NBA,

- Emman Monfort.
He sort of looks like YouTube's D-Trix (Dominic Sandoval) and he is, really, cute. (Hehe. Fun-sized.)

***
I won't be surprised if I get hooked with the national basketball league soon. Until the next game, perhaps?

Oh, wait. I almost forgot, bro. Where was Nico Salva all along?

No comments:

Post a Comment